FREE ACTIVITIES IN LOS ANGELES
Free Activities in Los Angeles
Photo by Flickr/John Beagle
Free activities here and free activities there! Wherever you look, LA's
got your budget covered. The first installment of 100 free things to do in Los Angeles is to get out there and do stuff. So what are you waiting for? Discover LA today.
1. Cruise Mulholland Drive:
One of the world’s most famous scenic drives, Mulholland winds from the
Hollywood Hills across the spine of the Santa Monica Mountains west to
the Pacific Ocean (almost). More details.
2. Check out the PCH: The Pacific Coast Highway is a sun-drenched road that hugs the coastline and is undoubtedly one of LA’s signature drives. More details.
3. Experience the Sunset Strip: No other road has the multiple personalities of this two-mile stretch on Sunset Boulevard. See what’s hot on the Sunset Strip.
4. Step into Hollywood history: The forecourt of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
has been one of the most popular free attractions since the 1920s when,
during the premiere of Cecil B. DeMille’s “King of Kings,” actress
Norma Talmadge accidentally stepped in wet cement.
5. Get photographed with Samuel L. Jackson: Speaking of Grauman’s, now that Madame Tussauds Hollywood
is open, you can sidle up to the man himself, sling an arm around him
and get your photo taken — your friends back home will never know that
it’s Jackson’s wax figure.
6. Walk the walk in Venice:
The most amazing street entertainers in the world are here — chainsaw
jugglers, swamis on rollerblades, street dancers...you name it. Get the local’s perspective on Venice.
7. Window shop Rodeo Drive:
Treasure hunt and star gaze along famed Rodeo (pronounced "row-day-o")
Drive in Beverly Hills, home of the rich and super rich. See other shopping neighborhoods in LA.
8. Watch TV live:
Be a part of a studio audience on your favorite television shows and
game shows like “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune.” Tickets are free
but must be obtained in advance. Get on a game show.
This LA-based nonprofit organization has helped spearhead the
ecotourism industry by offering numerous opportunities for visitors to
volunteer. For more than 30 years, Treepeople has helped plant and care
for trees while educating people about the environment.
10. Tour Downtown: Downtown LA has so many free cultural sights, it’s become one of the best places to sightsee for free. See what’s available.
11. Follow the paparazzi: Witnessing the paparazzi portion of the star-making cycle is an authentic LA experience — and totally free. Check out the top places to celeb watch.
12. Star gaze at Griffith Observatory: The exhibitions and displays found in the painstakingly renovated Griffith Park hot spot are all free, as is an introductory video about the building and its contents.
13. Visit Kat Von D’s “LA Ink” tattoo shop:
At the shop, which operates under the name High Voltage Tattoo, there’s
never a lull. Fans of the show pop in regularly, entering the store
just to see where the show takes place and to find show merchandise to
buy. Learn more about reality TV sightseeing.
14. Explore LA’s Fashion District: For people-watching alone, LA’s premier shopping destination is an experience all its own. Read more about the LA Fashion District.
15. Dance, dance, dance:
You don’t always have to pay a cover charge to get into LA’s dance
scene. Great clubs without covers can be found in most neighborhoods
with a little poking around. Check out the hottest nightlife haunts.
16. Explore Exposition Park:
Five major attractions within walking distance of each other is a rare
occurrence in LA, so take advantage of the USC/Exposition Park area
with this walking tour.
Printable Version of the Article
E-Mail This Article To A Friend
- FREE ARTS & CULTURE IN LOS ANGELES ()
Love arts and culture? Lucky for you that Los Angeles is the city for cutting-edge art and diverse cultures. Luckier for you that much of it is free.
- FREE HEALTH & BEAUTY OPTIONS IN LOS ANGELES ()
Stayin' healthy and gettin' pretty shouldn't cost you, especially in LA. Check out all the free ways to maintain your health and beauty in LA.
- FREE THINGS TO DO IN LOS ANGELES: Free Museums ()
When it comes to Los Angeles museums, the words “free admission” have a certain ring. Imagine standing before a priceless van Gogh without having paid a dime or strolling through the galleries and gardens filled with Roman statuary at the renowned Getty Villa without having to “make the most out of your money.” That's what we call "free"-dom.
- FREE THINGS TO DO IN LOS ANGELES: Free Recreation ()
By definition, recreation ought to be free. Getting outside is one of the best ways to discover LA. Check out this list of free recreational activities to enjoy during your LA vacation.
- FREE THINGS TO DO IN SAN DIEGO ()
The economy may be in a slump, but America’s Finest City offers plenty of activities to help you stay cultured, entertained and debt-free.